What Can I Take to the Landfill?


What Can I Take to the Landfill? 

Frequently Asked Questions


1.      Boats.  Accepted, by appointment and review of condition.  All mechanical parts and liquids must be removed prior to arriving at the landfill.  We do accept boats that are subject to registration.

2.      Campers.  Camper shells accepted, by appointment and review of condition.

3.      Travel Trailers.  Travel trailers, mobile homes, boat trailers, or utility trailers NOT accepted.  Please contact your local metal recycling facility.

4.      Automobiles.  Only small motorized vehicles that are not subject to vehicle registration and weigh less than 200 pounds are accepted i.e. scooters, mopeds, go-carts bicycles, etc.  All mechanical and liquid parts must be removed prior to arriving at the landfill.

5.      Tires.  NOT accepted.  The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) regulates and manages waste tires within the state.  To find a tire recycler near you, please visit: https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/tires

6.      Treated Lumber.  As of 2018, treated lumber (railroad ties, telephone poles, tree stakes, etc.) are accepted at our Prima Deshecha and Frank R. Bowerman Landfills. Treated lumber is NOT accepted at our Olinda Landfill.

7.      Soil.  Accepted, approval process required for loads greater than five cubic yards or eight tons.  Required process includes analytic laboratory testing to see if it can be accepted at the landfill.  Please visit our website for more information:

8.      Asphalt.  Accepted. Clean asphalt (without petromat or rebar) is accepted at no charge.  Unclean asphalt (with petromat or rebar) is charged at the normal tonnage rate. 

9.      Appliances.  We do accept appliances from individual residents but not from haulers or commercial businesses.  If you are not an individual resident, please take them to your local metal salvaging facility. 

Marine/Road Flares.   Marine flares are NOT accepted at our landfills.  Please call California Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC) at (800) 728-6942 for assistance.  Road flares are accepted at our County’s Household Hazardous Waste Centers from residents (not businesses) of Orange County.


Our landfills and Hazardous Waste Centers are for residents of Orange County.  Please bring proof of residency or job location.  For disposal needs requiring an appointment, please call our OCWR Information line.  Please note this is not an exhaustive list but rather a guide to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding what is accepted at our landfills.  All of this information is subject to change.  If you are unsure, please call us before coming to the landfill.

To print this list, please click HERE.


OCWR Information Line: (714) 834-4000

Follow us @OCWaste